Are you considering building an addition on your Florida home? Have you noticed your lights flickering on and off over the past few weeks? Does your circuit breaker frequently trip? If so, you’re not alone. If you answered “yes” to any of the questions above, chances are your home needs a heavy up from Hoffman Electrical & A/C.
If you live in the Tampa, St. Petersburg, or Sarasota areas and need an electrical panel upgrade, call Hoffman Electrical & A/C or contact us online for a free estimate!
What Is an Electrical Heavy Up?
Put simply, a heavy up refers to upgrading your home’s electrical power. A heavy up is when you increase the amperage (electrical power) of an electrical circuit so the circuit can safely accommodate all of your electrical devices and appliances at any one time. In other words, if you find yourself constantly tripping your circuit breakers when one appliance is plugged in or turned on, chances are you need to upgrade the circuitry. Prolonging an upgrade can pose serious risks for your home, including the possibility of an electrical fire.
When Do I Need an Electrical Upgrade in My Home?
Building new additions to your home is the most common reason a heavy up is required, however, it’s certainly not the only reason. New homes are built to safely accommodate newer technology and more powerful electrical appliances. While technology is changing almost every day, state-of-the-art equipment like home theater systems, powerful refrigerators, washers, and dryers, etc. are causing trouble for older, less current electrical technology.
If you experience any of the following signs, you may want to consider electrical panel upgrades in your Sarasota area home with a heavy up from Hoffman Electrical & A/C:
- Your electrical panel is more than 20 years old
- Your circuit breaker trips frequently
- You’re planning to expand your home
- Your lights flicker constantly
- You plan to upgrade your major appliances (i.e. washer, dryer, refrigerator, etc.)
The location of the breaker panel or box needs to be carefully planned due to strict regulations on their placement. Our team at Hoffman Electrical & A/C can help you determine the right location for your breaker panel.
Breaker Panel Upgrades
Your home’s breaker panel (the fuse box) is the central control of the entire electrical system for your home. It distributes the electricity delivered by your electric provider and powers everything in your home. Power to your home is turned on and off by circuit breakers to protect wiring from damage by “tripping” when an electrical short or over-current occurs.
Because the breaker panel has so much power, it is very dangerous to work on. Only licensed electrical contractors should ever work on your breaker panel.
For breaker panel upgrades from trusted electricians, contact our team at Hoffman Electrical & A/C by calling 866-238-3243.
Benefits of an Electrical Panel Upgrade
We understand that your home is a significant investment and most likely one of your largest assets. This is why we encourage you to protect your investment and schedule an electrical panel upgrade. Scheduling a heavy up provides your home with:
- Greater electrical capacity – Most homes more than 20 years old operate using 100 amps of power. However, newer homes are being built with electrical equipment with a capacity of 200 amps to provide more electrical capacity than ever before! This means you can plug in your smartphone chargers, computers, and other essential devices into the same circuit without damaging your devices.
- More flexibility – You no longer have to worry about running the microwave at the same time as the coffee maker. Upgrading the electrical equipment in your home provides for greater flexibility within your home so you can accomplish more around the house without fear of electrical shock or fire.
- Preparedness – An electrical panel upgrade prepares your home for future additions that may require you to expand your entire electrical system or just add a few outlets.
- Greater safety – The electrical equipment in your home—wiring, outlets, etc.—is rarely taken care of properly, resulting in wires deteriorating and a greater chance of malfunctioning. By scheduling a heavy up, you can rest assured that your electrical equipment is not putting you, your family, pets, or guests at risk.
If you’re ready to provide your home with additional power, contact us for heavy ups in Hillsborough and Pinellas County.
Schedule an Electrical Panel Upgrade in Sarasota, Tampa & St. Petersburg
Hoffman Electrical & A/C is a family-owned and -operated electrical company serving homeowners throughout Hillsborough, Pinellas, Sarasota, and Manatee counties. We believe we’ve got the best electricians to handle your project—but don’t just take our word for it! Check out our reviews on Yelp and Facebook to see what our customers are saying.
If you’re in need of an electrical panel upgrade, give our expert electricians a call at 866-238-3243 or contact us online!
Electrical Upgrade FAQs
How can I prevent electrical fires?
Why are my lights flickering?
What is a heavy up?