Do you have enough smoke alarms in your home? The odds are probably not if we’re going by statistical averages, and if you’re here reading along then you also are probably thinking about installing more. Which is good! But you might also be thinking about wiring them yourself, and that might not be the best option you have. Why? Today the certified professionals at Hoffman Electrical & A/C are here to help you understand.
Should I Install My Own Smoke Alarms?
This question is going to depend a little bit. It depends on what you mean by install. If we’re talking single, battery-powered alarms that require no wiring, then you can probably feel somewhat safe handling it. Usually just takes some anchors and screws.
But if we’re talking about the better, more reliable, and more functional wired smoke alarms, then no. You really, really shouldn’t attempt an installation on your own!
Hard-wired smoke alarms are a great, highly effective means of making your Tampa home and family more safe. But installing them is an involved, training-needed job. It’s a full-fledged installation, just like appliance wiring, circuit breaker installation, or home lighting installation—all jobs you want to hire an expert for. A DIY attempt can result in:
- Injury. Any electrical project carries risks of burns, shock, home electrical fires, or even electrocution. Wiring alarms is a delicate and involved process, and if you’re not trained to do it, you’re exposing yourself to very serious risks.
- Wasted investments. Assuming no injury is involved, a single misstep also is going to result in the smoke alarm or detector failing to operate, or even worse breaking altogether. Bad wiring can even damage your other appliances, killing costly, vital electrical appliances and lights.
- Time wasted. A first-time DIY is going to take days, weeks, or even longer. For a certified electrician? It’s a few hours. Safety is important, and you want it for your home as soon as possible!
Why Choose Hard-Wired Detectors & Alarms?
So why not save a buck and just go for battery powered alarms? Well, wired alarms are generally accepted as the best option for home safety, and for a few very strong reasons:
- Hard-wired alarms are safer. In essence, it’s just a higher quality product. The parts are stronger and more resilient, they last years longer, and they sound more effectively and dependably.
- They are interconnected. With wiring, you have the option to chain all of your home’s alarms together—and you should! When one goes off, all go off, meaning there’s no way in the world that you’re sleeping through that. It’s a great additional layer of safety.
- They require less maintenance. Swapping smoke alarm batteries is worse than taking out the trash in your Tampa home one hundred times over, and lots of folks just don’t do it for that reason. The solution? Get alarms that don’t need batteries, of course!
When you’re looking for trustworthy, top-class smoke alarm and detection installation services, you can turn to Hoffman Electrical & A/C for the very best. Contact us online to learn more, or to get a consultation for your service!