It’s easy to take your home’s wiring for granted, but every time you turn on a light or use the coffee maker, you’re counting on the electrical wiring to deliver a safe, steady current to the outlet. If the wiring is old or damaged, sparks can fly, putting you at risk for a house fire. Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFi) states that more than 53,000 home fires each year are caused by electrical problems. Don’t put your family at risk! Prevent a fire by knowing when to replace the wiring in your Florida home.
We Recommend Replacing Electrical Wiring When:
- The wires start to fray: Whether from age, heat, corrosion or physical damage, wires can fray. The exposed wires can then create a spark which can lead to a fire.
- Rodents damage the wiring: Rats and mice love to chew on wiring. If you see droppings or other signs of rodent activity, it’s wise to have the wiring checked for damage.
- Circuit breakers trip often: Circuit breakers are a safety measure meant to prevent overloads. If your circuits keep tripping, that could mean they are not designed to carry the load you put on them.
- The lights dim: If ceiling lights dim or flicker when you turn on the microwave, blow dryer or vacuum, you could be overloading the circuit. Doing this repeatedly could damage the wire and lead to a spark.
- Electrical connections loosen: This can happen over time, so occasionally check for a tight electrical connection behind switches and outlets.
- Outlets have scorch marks: Outlets and switches should never feel hot. Warm spots or scorch marks are strong warning signs the wiring needs to be replaced.
- Outlets or appliances start smoking: At the first sign of smoke, immediately turn off the appliance and assess for damage. If the appliance is smoking, it may have reached the end of its life. If the outlet is smoking, turn off the main circuit breaker and call an electrician immediately.
- Noises come from electrical sources: Outlets, switches, appliances or even the circuit breaker may start to buzz, crackle, or pop. If this happens, you could have a serious problem requiring the help of a licensed electrician right away.
Hoffman Electrical & A/C Can Help Replace Old Wiring in Florida
Working with electricity is dangerous business. Leave the job of assessing and fixing problems to a licensed professional. Call Hoffman Electrical & A/C at 866-238-3242 for help replacing electrical wiring in your Tampa or St. Petersburg, FL home. We offer emergency electrical services 24 hours a day for your convenience.