A summer in Florida brings about a ton of exciting activities. From the pool to the playground, there’s a lot of adventure to be had! But don’t break out the barbecue just yet! The certified electricians at Hoffman Electrical & A/C would like to take a moment to identify some common electrical hazards that can come as a result of all of this summer fun.
Our experts have been bringing our patrons the best in electrical services for years. And in that time nothing has ever been as important to us as your safety! To avoid risks of shock and fire, read along for some safety tips you should put into practice.
Summer Electrical Safety: Tips for the Home
Don’t worry, we’re not going to spoil the fun. These tips are quick, easy, and are mostly about taking precautions:
- Use proper extension cords. Before plugging in that laptop or music player, be sure the extension cord you’re dragging outside is safe. The outdoors can bring about plenty of moisture and cause for flinging water and your extension cords should be rated for outdoor use. This way you avoid any possible shocks caused by damaged cords or ones that can’t handle small exposure to water.
- Install GFCIs where appropriate. If you have outlets near water sources, sprinkler systems, or poolside, be sure they are GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters). These devices safely and handily shut off power to outlet if the circuit is compromised and drastically improve the security of your electrical appliances.
- Keep electronics away from pools and water sources. By a minimum of ten feet, do not operate electrical equipment near water. Accidents happen (it’s how people get hurt!) and exposing yourself to unnecessary risk is completely unwarranted.
- Familiarize yourself with your breaker box. In the event of an emergency, or a possible emergency, you need to know how to quickly shut off the power in your home. Locate your panel and be sure you have easy access to the switches.
Summer Electrical Safety Tips: Tips for Outdoors
- Avoid power lines. If taking part in sport, flying remote planes, or anything else that needs wide open space, be sure you are actually in wide open space! Power lines care nothing to trifle with, as they carry potentially fatal electrical loads.
- Stay aware of weather reports. Potentially dangerous weather is nothing new to Florida natives. We get all manner of storms, many of which create ample risks for lighting strikes. If the forecast states a risk of thunderstorms or severe weather, plan your fun for another time!
Residential Electrical Services with Hoffman Electrical & A/C in St. Petersburg
If it’s time to bolster the electrical defenses of your home, look to the certified electricians at Hoffman Electrical & A/C! We can ensure your home is safe and shock free this summer, leaving you to have fun in safety! Hoffman Electrical & A/C is a family owned and operated business serving the Tampa and Brandon, Florida communities since 1989. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff of electricians install, repair, and perform regular maintenance check-ups in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties.
Contact us today to request residential or commercial electrical service in Florida.