Dealing with an outage can range from a bit obnoxious all the way to potentially very dangerous. The deciding factor in this? What you do when a power outage strikes. How you respond, how you handle the problem, and how well you’re prepared are all defining factors. That’s why today we’re going to discuss the vital things you need to know when the power goes out.
Need help preparing your home for a power outage? Contact the certified electricians for all of your electrical repair and installation needs!
How to Respond to a Power Outage in Tampa
Outages are rarely, if ever, something you can expect to happen. They usually come without warning, either due to a storm or because of an issue with your power supplier. Because of this you need to know what to do:
- Locate a source of information. First up you want to know some very specific information. If at all possible you want to know how long to expect the outage to last, and what caused it. The best options are often radios and phones, and luckily technology can help you here, as smartphones are a great way to connect with local authorities.
- Your appliances are now dangerous, so shut them off. If the outage is caused by a storm or incident (downed lines, for example) then you want to shut down your power supply altogether. The resurgence of power caused by power reconnecting to your home can be dangerous, and can severely damage appliances. Especially if the power flickers repeatedly.
- Avoid sources of water during storms. If we’re talking severe weather and flooding, you want to avoid all puddles, pools, and sources of standing water. Exposed power lines and wiring can be lurking in these, and this is a very real and very dangerous threat against your life and health.
- Respond effectively to the temperature. Keep in mind that you’ll be losing HVAC during this time, so if it is cold outdoors bundle up, and if it’s hot drink plenty of safe water (bottled, preferably).
The Best Ways to Prepare for a Power Outage
We’ve covered flood and hurricane safety quite in-depth recently, which we would love for you to check out when you have a chance. Because of this we’re going to stick to the heavier-duty forms of preparedness, which include:
- Surge protection devices. As we mentioned, power surges and fluctuations in power can do serious property damage, and can even pose some risks to personal health. To combat this whole-home surge protectors and lightning arresters are a great way to prepare and protect your home.
- Home portable and standby generators. Generators are one of the most ideal all-in-one solutions out there. They’re an investment, yes, but one that can pay you back big in both convenience and safety. The best option lies in a whole-home system (equipped with an automatic transfer switch for instant power), but even a portable unit can help with food preservation and temperature control.
Prepare for Power Outages with Hoffman Electrical
Are you looking to equip your home with top of the line protection and prevention equipment? Then Hoffman Electrical is your ideal partner! We take your needs seriously, offering superior installation services, and even repairs in case something goes awry during an outage in your home. Contact us today to learn more!