As a Florida resident, you should know summer and early fall mark hurricane season. These storms can reach wind speeds exceeding 155 miles per hour and create storm surges that flood properties in coastal areas. Hurricanes cause catastrophic damage to anything in their path.
If such a storm hit your neighborhood tomorrow, would you be ready? If you’re not sure, consider this checklist to see if you’re prepared for a hurricane.
- Build an emergency supply kit
- Create a family communication plan
- Learn hurricane evacuation routes in your community
- Learn the elevation of your property and whether it’s prone to flooding during hurricanes
- Keep trees and shrubs well-trimmed to make them more wind resistant
- Install storm shutters on all windows
- Install straps to fasten your roof securely to the frame structure
- Install an emergency standby generator
How a Standby Generator Helps Homeowners Prepare for a Hurricane
If you’re not in an evacuation zone during a hurricane, you may choose to stay in your home. However, if the power goes out, you could be left in the dark. With a standby generator, you are well prepared to ride out the storm.
What do Generators Power?
You may not realize the extent of your dependence on electricity until the power goes out. Only then does it occur to you that dozens of household devices require electricity to function. The most important things to power during a hurricane include:
- Heating and air conditioning systems
- Kitchen appliances
- Sump pumps
- Hot water heaters
- Refrigerators and freezers
- Home security systems
- Computers and TVs
Benefits of Installing a Standby Generator
You may hesitate to purchase a standby generator, thinking perhaps you don’t really need one. However, if a devastating storm ever knocks out the power for hours, days or even weeks, you’ll quickly realize how important electricity is in your daily life. The benefits of having a standby generator include the following:
- Enjoy ample lighting at night
- Maintain a comfortable indoor temperature
- Cook a hot meal for your family
- Prevent a flooded basement by keeping the sump pump working
- Take a hot shower
- Keep refrigerated and frozen food from spoiling
- Remain safe behind your home security system
- Pass the time with TV and computer games
Standby Generator Installation in Tampa & St. Petersburg, FL
Hoffman Electrical & A/C provides different types and sizes of standby generators to match your budget and meet your needs. Like you, our business is also susceptible to the damaging elements of a hurricane. Our home offices are in both Tampa and St. Petersburg, FL, so we know how important a home standby generator is to riding out a storm.
Our electricians are industry certified and trained to install Generac standby generators. Generac is one of the best generator manufacturers available on the market, so you can rest assured you and your family can enjoy the comfort of your home through the scariest of hurricanes.
To learn more about finding the right generator for you, please contact us today!
**Follow television and radio updates for evacuation information if you are in the direct path of a hurricane when it hits landfall.