According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there are over 25,000 electrical fires reported annually—all of which could have been avoided if the proper precautionary measures had been taken. Learning how to prevent electrical fires will help you keep your home and your family safe. The licensed electricians at Hoffman Electrical have come up with tips that can help you identify a potential fire hazard and prevent an electrical fire in your Clearwater area home.
Prevent electrical hazards in your Hillsborough or Pinellas County home by having a certified electrician install and maintain your electrical wiring. Contact or call Hoffman Electrical today at 866-238-3243866-238-3243 for residential electrical service!
Tips to Avoid Electrical Hazards
Fires caused by faulty or malfunctioning wiring can quickly get out of control, and can be difficult to extinguish as they often begin hidden behind walls. A bad electrical fire can even cause you to lose your entire home. Don’t let this happen to your St. Petersburg are home, and take the following precautions:
- Ensure all electrical outlets and technologies stay dry. We’ve all been told not to mix electricity and water—and whoever told you that wasn’t exaggerating in the slightest! If you store any cables outside, make sure they are above water level when not in use. Also make sure to cover the outlets that are outside of your home, and never use them when it is raining outside!
- Always plug devices into a GFCI. They’re a common safety feature found on your electrical outlets that monitors the power current flowing through a circuit. At the first sign of a discrepancy between the current flowing into the outlet and the return current, it intervenes by shutting off the power to the outlet.
- Avoid overloading your electrical outlets. Each circuit in your home is specifically designed to handle a certain amount of electricity. Circuits often become overloaded when homeowner’s overuse power strips instead of limiting the electrical use to the two designated outlets. If you overload a circuit, it causes too much stress to the electrical system and can cause the wires to overheat, spark, or deteriorate. Properly distribute your electrical devices throughout your home instead of limiting them to one circuit.
- Use surge protectors. When the voltage increases above the norm for at least three nanoseconds, it’s called a surge. If the electrical surge is high enough, it can affect the functionality of your electronic devices, or in severe cases even destroy them. Surge protectors have one job: detect excess voltage and divert the extra electricity into the grounding wire—keeping your home and devices safe from an electrical surge.
- Hire licensed electricians for all electrical services. If an untrained individual attempts your electrical job, it may not be completed right. To ensure your family resides in a safe home in Tampa, contact a professional like Hoffman Electrical to install or repair your home’s wiring.
Call Hoffman Electrical Today—Hillsborough & Pinellas County Electric Professionals
If you follow these safety precautions and still experience electrical damage to your home—Hoffman Electrical can help! Our experienced electricians have been serving the Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Clearwater area with professionalism and integrity since 1989. Call the experts at Hoffman Electrical at 866-238-3243866-238-3243 or schedule an appointment today!