The seasons are finally beginning to shift, bringing us (somewhat) cooler weather and a few unique activities. As we settle into fall, our experts at Hoffman Electrical & A/C would like to take a moment to clue you in on some potential electrical dangers unique to the season.
To our team, the only thing more important than our service is your safety! Electrical appliances and tools are indispensable these days, but without the proper care, understanding, and preparation, you could be looking at some serious injuries. To avoid risks and keep your home safe, keep up with these safety notes!
Fall Electrical Safety Checklist
These tips and points are really quick and simple, so don’t worry about some involved and frustrating nonsense. For the most part, it’s all about being prepared and staying wary of potential threats:
- Update your electronics. There are a lot of in-home appliances that begin to see more use in the fall, including space-heaters, more lighting, and other items. Because of this increase in energy use, you may find this a good time to pursue a heavy-up or electrical upgrade service to ensure safe operation of your appliances.
- Evaluate your home’s HVAC system. Get your furnace checked by a professional! It’s been sitting there all year long, and if there are potential loose electrical connections or dust clogs, you might be seeing some serious electrical issues when you kick it on during a chilly night.
- Check your fall/winter appliances and tools. Leaf blowers and similar electrically-powered tools should be checked over carefully for damage. Inspect the cables and wires your tools use for cracks, cuts, and other forms of damage. If there is damage, either replace the wire or replace the tool. Left alone, you could be risking electric shock and similar injuries.
- Check outdoor lighting and wiring for damage. Or better yet, have an expert do it! As it cools off, we can see changes in the weather that may bring in more moisture, so it’s a good idea to check wiring for damage that may cause trouble.
- Use outdoor-appropriate materials. As we begin closing on all of the major holidays, many of us look forward to decorating our homes. Go for it! But be wary of old lights and outdoor fixtures, and be sure to use outdoor use extension cords. Using indoor cords and strips can put you at a lot of risk and can even kill the power in your home.
- Keep up with your landscape. Falling leaves and other forms of discarded foliage can present a hazard when they begin to pile up around electronics and outdoor lighting. To remove the risk of electrical fire, be sure to rake up and dispose of leaves as they fall.
- Stay safe for the holidays! With Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas in the near distance, you’ve probably got a lot of feasting planned. All of that cooking is great, but be sure you don’t fall into any of the usual dangerous kitchen mistakes. The majority of all house fires are electrical related, many of which originate with the misuse of electrical equipment in the kitchen. Make sure you’re using GFCIs where you should and that your outlet wiring is up to date, too!
Why Choose Hoffman Electrical & A/C for your Florida Residential Electric Needs?
Hoffman Electrical & A/C is a family owned and operated business serving the Tampa and Brandon, Florida communities since 1989. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff of electricians install, repair, and perform regular maintenance check-ups in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties. When you need an electrician in your home, let our family help yours! We provide a variety of in-home electrical services, including installations, repair, and routine maintenance. Not only do we offer high-quality installs, we’ll also make sure your equipment continues to work efficiently and safely.
For electrical services in Tampa, Brandon, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, or their surrounding areas, contact us online or call us at (866) 238-3243 today!